Introduction to Crota's End in Destiny 2
Crota's End is more than just a raid in Destiny 2; it's a rite of passage for Guardians. First introduced in the original Destiny as part of "The Dark Below" expansion, Crota's End quickly gained notoriety for its challenging mechanics, dark setting, and the lore surrounding Crota, the Hive Prince. The raid's transition into Destiny 2 has reignited interest among veterans and new players, offering a blend of nostalgia and new challenges.
Set deep within the Moon's Hellmouth, Crota's End challenges Guardians to venture into the Hive's sanctum and put an end to Crota's reign. The journey is perilous, filled with puzzles, hordes of enemies, and demanding boss fights. Success requires not just firepower but also strategic planning, teamwork, and an understanding of each section's unique mechanics.
The significance of Crota's End extends beyond the gameplay. It's a crucial part of Destiny's lore, depicting the ongoing war between the Light and the Darkness, with Guardians constantly pushing back against the encroaching Hive threat. The raid's design reflects the Hive's sinister aesthetic, with dark, cavernous environments that set the stage for the epic confrontations within.
Destiny 2 Crota's End
Getting Started with Crota's End
Before diving into the depths of the Hellmouth to face Crota, there are several preparatory steps and considerations to ensure your raid team is ready for the challenges ahead.
Requirements for Accessing Crota's End
To embark on the Crota's End raid in Destiny 2, players must first meet specific requirements:
- Expansion Ownership: Originally, Crota's End was part of "The Dark Below" expansion in Destiny. In Destiny 2, ensure you have access to any required expansions or updates that include the raid.
- Power Level: While Crota's End doesn't have a strict power level requirement in Destiny 2, a recommended power level ensures your Guardian has the resilience and damage output needed. Aiming for a power level slightly above the raid's recommended level can provide a comfortable buffer.
- Fireteam: Crota's End is designed for a fireteam of six players. While it's possible to attempt the raid with fewer players, a full team ensures a balance of roles and abilities, crucial for overcoming the raid's mechanics.
Preparing Your Guardian
Equipping your Guardian with the right gear is crucial for surviving the horrors of Crota's End. Here's what to consider:
- Weapon Loadout: Your weapon choices should include a mix of close-range firepower, like shotguns or swords, for the Thrall-heavy sections, and long-range options, like scout rifles or sniper rifles, for taking down enemies from a distance. An effective heavy weapon, such as a rocket launcher with tracking capabilities or a high-damage machine gun, is essential for boss encounters and crowd control.
- Armor and Gear: Armor with Hive-related perks, such as increased damage to Hive enemies or improved defense against Hive attacks, can be particularly beneficial. Look for gear that boosts your Guardian's mobility and recovery, as speed and quick healing can be life-saving during the raid.
- Consumables and Mods: Stock up on relevant consumables that can restore your health, ammo, or super energy. Equip mods that complement your playstyle and enhance your abilities, such as those that increase grenade recharge rate or improve weapon handling.
The first challenge in Crota's End is the descent into the Hellmouth. Guardians must leap into the abyss and navigate a series of platforms while fending off the Hive.
- Strategy: Stick together as a team and move quickly from platform to platform. Use ranged weapons to pick off enemies from a distance before they can swarm your team.
- Tip: Assign a point person to lead the jump sequence, reducing the chances of mid-air collisions and confusion.
The Abyss is a dark maze filled with pitfalls and swarming Thrall. Lighting the lanterns along the way provides temporary safety but also attracts more Hive enemies.
- Strategy: Move as a group from lantern to lantern, using area-of-effect (AoE) abilities and weapons to clear Thrall. Designate a player to scout ahead and locate the next lantern.
- Tip: Lightweight weapons and mobility-enhancing gear can help outrun the Thrall and navigate the maze more effectively.
After surviving the Abyss, Guardians face the challenge of constructing and crossing a mystical bridge to reach the other side of a vast chasm, all while battling against formidable Gatekeepers and hordes of Hive enemies.
- Strategy: Divide your team into two groups: one to hold the starting side and another to cross the bridge as it forms. Standing on specific plates activates the bridge, but it requires guardians to remain on them to keep it stable. Defeat the Gatekeepers on the other side using the Swordbearer's sword, a crucial element for crossing the bridge.
- Tip: Communication is key in this section. Coordinate who will cross next and ensure the team on the starting side manages the plates and incoming Hive effectively. High-damage, quick-reload weapons are ideal for dealing with Gatekeepers.
The Thrallway is a narrow corridor filled with Thrall and deadly Shriekers that open as you advance. The goal is to reach the end of the corridor before the doors close, sealing off the path.
- Strategy: Speed is essential. Use supers and heavy weapons to clear a path through the Thrall and focus fire on the Shriekers as soon as they open. Guardians with abilities that boost speed or provide temporary invulnerability can lead the charge.
- Tip: Hunters with the Nightstalker subclass can use their smoke bombs to make the team invisible, providing a brief respite from the Thrall. Timing your run after a Shrieker's death can minimize exposure to its death blast.
The Deathsinger, Ir Yût, presents a timed challenge where Guardians must disrupt her liturgy of ruin before it wipes the team. This encounter involves clearing numerous Hive enemies while managing the Deathsinger's powerful song.
- Strategy: Split your team to tackle both sides of Ir Yût's chamber simultaneously. Clearing out the adds quickly is crucial to getting access to the Deathsinger. Designate a few high-damage Guardians to focus on Ir Yût once the adds are cleared and her shield drops.
- Tip: Supers that can clear large groups of enemies or provide team buffs, like the Warlock's Well of Radiance or the Titan's Ward of Dawn, are incredibly useful here. Weapons with crowd control capabilities can also turn the tide.
The final battle against Crota himself is a multi-phase encounter that tests all aspects of a Guardian's skill, teamwork, and strategy. Crota is immune to conventional damage and can only be harmed with the Swordbearer's sword.
- Strategy: The team should be split into roles: Swordbearers, who will use the sword to damage Crota; snipers, to take down the Oversoul (should it be summoned) and Boomer Knights; and support, to manage adds and provide healing if necessary. The encounter cycles through phases where Crota moves across his chamber, with safe moments to attack interspersed with periods where Guardians must deal with incoming Hive forces.
- Tip: Timing and positioning are everything. Swordbearers must coordinate with the team to bring Crota's shield down at the right moment, allowing them to get in sword hits. It's crucial to retreat before Crota recovers. Utilize class abilities like the Hunter's invisibility to safely approach Crota for sword attacks.
Advanced Tips and Strategies
To truly master Crota's End, Guardians must go beyond basic strategies and embrace advanced tactics:
- Role Flexibility: Be prepared to switch roles on the fly. The dynamic nature of the raid, especially in the final encounter with Crota, may require rapid changes in strategy.
- Environmental Awareness: The Hellmouth is filled with environmental hazards, from the pits in the Abyss to the ledges in Crota's chamber. Awareness and caution can prevent unnecessary deaths.
- Effective Communication: Clear, concise communication can be the difference between success and failure. Establish clear callouts for each section of the raid and ensure everyone understands their role and the overall plan.
Crota's End in Destiny 2 is a testament to the enduring appeal of the game's raid content, offering a blend of challenging mechanics, engaging lore, and the opportunity for teamwork. Whether you're a seasoned raider or new to the Destiny universe, Crota's End offers an experience that is both rewarding and exhilarating. With the right preparation, strategy, and team, the depths of the Hellmouth can be conquered, and Crota's reign can be brought to an end. Embrace the challenge, Guardian, and carve your legend in the Light.
Did you like this article?
If you did, please leave us a like or share this page, this encourages us to continue writing guides such as this!
What do you want us to write about in our next article?
Comment below! There is an option to comment anonymously.